Settling into a new area, new home and new routine isn’t easy. This useful list of phone numbers, addresses and websites for area essentials will help make your transition a bit smoother.

Getting Started

Each city’s website has helpful information about utility providers in your area, garbage collection and more.

Revenue Offices

You’ll have to become familiar with your local revenue office after moving to Arkansas. The Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration handles most of the important post-move errands you’ll need to complete fairly soon after settling in.

At your local DFA revenue office, you can register your vehicle, gen an Arkansas driver's license and pay property taxes.

  • Benton: 215 N. Main St., (501) 778-4876
  • Bryant: Stonebridge Center, 101 N.W. Third St., Suite G, (501) 847-5080
  • Cabot: 1604 S. Pine St., Suite F, (501) 843-5836
  • Conway: 2455 Washington Ave., Suite 105 (501) 329-2601
  • Jacksonville: 4 Crestview Drive, Crestview Plaza, (501) 982-5942
  • Little Rock Central: 1900 W. Seventh St., Room 1040, (501) 682-7076
  • Little Rock Southwest: 3 State Police Plaza Drive, Suite 300, (501) 682-0410
  • Little Rock West: 9108 N. Rodney Parham Road, Suite 107, (501) 324-9243
  • Maumelle: 550 Edgewood Drive, Suite 580, (501) 851-7688
  • North Little Rock: 2655-A Pike Ave., Pike Plaza Shopping Center, (501) 324-9246
  • North Little Rock/Sherwood: 6929 JFK Blvd., Space 22, Indian Hills Shopping Center, (501) 835-6904

Driving Requirements

While you’re at the revenue office, take care of any outstanding driving requirements, too. After residing in Arkansas for 30 days, newcomers are required to obtain a vehicle tax assessment and register the vehicle to receive a new license plate and driver’s license – or risk getting fined.

Voter Registration

You can register to vote at any state revenue office, public library, county clerk’s office or public assistance agency. You can also mail an application to your county clerk’s office or the Arkansas Secretary of State 30 days prior to the next election. Make sure you have received a voter ID card before you vote. The registration process isn’t complete without it.

A Pretty Penny

We think Arkansas is a great place to live. In fact, the state has the fourth cheapest cost of living index according to a study done by GOBankingRates. But you’ve got to take the good with the bad — and by bad, we mean the sales tax rates. Here’s your cheat sheet:

  • Currently, the state and average local sales tax rate is 9.34 percent, which is the third highest in the country.
  • Arkansas has the 19th highest spirits sales tax in the country at $6.88 per gallon. State wine excise taxes per gallon are $1.35 (13th highest) and beer excise taxes per gallon are $0.35 (18th highest).

  • In Pulaski County, the combined sales tax is 7.5 percent, which includes the total of state and county sales tax rates.
  • Saline County has a 6.5 percent combined sales tax.
  • Faulkner County’s combined sales tax is 7 percent. However, the city of Conway adds 1.75 percent to the 7 percent county sales tax, making it a whopping 8.75 percent.

*Sales tax rate information gathered from the Tax Foundation.

More Taxes

Personal income tax does not exist at the city or county levels, but state rates range from 1 to 7 percent.

Corporate income tax does not exist at the city or county levels, but state ranges from 1 to 6.5 percent.

Arkansas residents pay personal property taxes, an annual tax imposed on movable assets — mobile homes, RVs, vehicles, boats, planes, machinery, etc. The portion of your vehicle’s registration or license fee that’s based on the value of the vehicle is considered a personal property tax.

Real and personal property taxes do not exist at the state level, but rates per $1,000 of assessed valuation (20 percent of appraised value) for individuals and businesses are $70.50 for Little Rock, $59.40 for North Little Rock and $62.90 for Maumelle.

Cheers to Your New Home!

Arkansas liquor laws can be confusing. The state has "wet" counties with some "dry" towns and "dry" counties with "damp" towns. Here are a few of the rules:

  • There are 35 counties in Arkansas (out of 75) where liquor can only be purchased at private clubs– if at all.
  • Bars must close at 2 a.m. in Metro Little Rock. If it's a private club, it may stay open until 5 a.m.
  • Beware of Sunday liquor laws. In Metro Little Rock, it is llegal for grocery stores to sell beer and wine on Sunday while liquor stores are required to be closed.
  • But you can still have a Sunday Funday! Restaurants and bars are still allowed to serve spirits on Sundays.

City Halls

  • Benton: 114 S. East St., (501) 776-5900
  • Bryant: 210 S.W. Third St., (501) 943-0999
  • Cabot: 101 N. Second St., (501) 843-3566
  • Conway: 1201 Oak St., (501) 450-6100
  • Jacksonville: 1 Municipal Drive, (501) 982-3181
  • Little Rock: 500 W. Markham St., Suite 203, (501) 371-4500
  • Maumelle: 550 Edgewood Drive, Suite 590, (501) 851-2500
  • North Little Rock: 300 Main St., (501) 340-5318
  • Sherwood: 2199 E. Kiehl Ave., (501) 835-5319

Chambers of Commerce

  • Benton: 607 N. Market St., (501) 315-8272
  • Bryant: 109 Roya Lane, (501) 847-4702
  • Cabot: 110 S. First St., (501) 843-2136
  • Conway: 900 Oak St., (501) 372-7788
  • Jacksonville: 200 Dupree Drive, (501) 982-1511
  • Little Rock: 1 Chamber Plaza, (501) 374-2001
  • Maumelle: 115 Audubon Drive, Suite 14, (501) 851-9700
  • North Little Rock: 100 Main St., (501) 372-5959
  • Sherwood: 295 West Kiehl Ave., (501) 835-7600

Foreign Consulate

Consulado de Mexico / Mexican Consulate, 3500 S. University Ave., Little Rock, (501) 372-6933