Central Arkansas 101: Hard Numbers on a Growing Region
The 12-county Metro Little Rock region has a population of more than 1,000,000. Fortune 500 companies such as Dillard’s, Windstream, HP and Caterpillar have presences here, as well as some of the nation’s largest nonprofits. We’re centrally and strategically located with proximity to Interstates 40 and 30 and other transportation infrastructure such as Arkansas River ports and rail lines. But wait, there’s more — see below.
Median Cost of Home
Median Family Income
• 4 school districts in Pulaski County alone with more than 100 schools combined.
• Top 10 - Conway was recently ranked among Kiplinger’s “10 Cheapest U.S. Cities to Live In”
People working in health care or similar — one of the biggest job sectors in the region
|32,200||Number of people employed by the state government, the largest employer in the region|
- There are roughly 54% more physicians per capita and 48% more hospital beds per capita in the metro region than the national average.
- A recent CNBC “Top States for Business” list ranked Arkansas’ cost of doing business as the fourth lowest in the nation. CNBC also ranked the state’s workforce seventh.
- More than 900 independently owned and operated restaurants in Little Rock and North Little Rock
- While the makeup company Maybelline is headquartered in New York, its factory has been based in Little Rock since 1975, selling an average of 1.7 tubes of mascara every second.
- 100 shopping centers with more than 8 million square feet of retail space.
- Compared to the rest of the country, Little Rock’s cost of living is 12.2% lower than the U.S. average.
- $680 million - Arkansas’ total export value
- 493,000 - Metro Little Rock labor workforce
- Metro Little Rock is located in the center of the country with 40 percent of the nation’s population and buying power within a 550-mile radius.
- In 2013, Forbes named Little Rock and two other Arkansas cities among the top MSAs in the U.S. for business and careers.
- Arkansas is among a small number of states that has maintained a balanced budget.
Information gathered from the Arkansas Economic Development Commission, the Little Rock Regional Chamber, BestPlaces.net and the Metro Little Rock Alliance.